As transformer oil ages, it oxidizes and begins to break down. During this time, oil purification which effectively removes moisture, solids and gaseous contamination will not be able to remove other by-products from the aging transformer oil. The by-products of the degradation process include acids, aldehydes, and peroxides, which bind together to form sludge.
Sludge attacks the cellulose insulation, inhibits oil flow and traps heat inside the transformer. Eventually the dielectric gap will be bridged, thus, resulting in failure of the transformer.
Oil Regeneration Extends Transformer Unit Life
Remex mobile regeneration system restores transformer oil by removing acidity, sludge, soluble oil decay products and improves oil colour with Fullers earth treatment technology. When the treatment is complete, the regenerated oil meets or exceeds international standards for new oil with lower acidity and improved tan delta, interfacial tension, and oxidation stability. The cellulose insulation and internal components of the transformer also benefit from the flushing effect of multiple passes of hot regenerated oil, which helps remove decay products and sludge from internal surfaces.
Remex Reactivation Technology
The best method for regenerating transformer oil is treatment using Fullers earth. However, conventional regeneration units are costly to operate, requiring large amounts of Fullers earth which must be disposed of and replaced after each use. The Remex oil regeneration system features high-performance reactivation technology with Fullers earth permanently installed in the plant for two to three years. The Fullers earth can be cleansed or reactivated 200 to 300 times before replacement is required. Oil can be processed continuously using the same charge of Fullers earth. No disposal of oil soaked waste is required, greatly reducing the cost of operation.
Advantages of Oil Regeneration
· Extends the transformer life by restoring the qualities of the transformer oil to be similar to new oil condition
· Oil Regeneration is much less costly than changing new oil
· Minimal downtime as a result no revenue loss as Oil Regeneration can be performed "online or live"/ energized transformer
· Environmentally friendly as the existing oil is reused. There will also be no hazard from oil spills and PCB contamination, including the trouble with the disposal of old oil
· Oil Regeneration removes the sludge build up and deposited on the internal core and coils of the transformer, which a traditional oil change will not
· Oil Regeneration can be continuously performed in most weather conditions and will not run the risk of exposing the internal transformer core to adverse weather conditions during an oil change
Additional System Features
· Support for energized and non-energized transformers
· Flow rates vary from 600 to 10 000 liters per hour
· Oil processing capacity from 1,000 to 15,000 liters per cycle
· Fully automated operation controls
· Leak proof base can be mounted in a semi-trailer